Air Jordan Webinar and the Art of Self-Promotion

The Air Jordan Webinar

 The structure of my webinar goes as follows, first I began with showing parts of the documentary “One Man and His Shoes” from Vice. Second, I began my ignite presentation, where I used images from the Air Jordan line and how it became culturally relevant. Third, I began my question-and-answer segment of my presentation, I asked the audience if they ever owned a pair or have friends that do. I followed it up with questions on whether they had waited in line for such an item before that weren’t sneakers. Got some solid feedback and would have benefited with a longer session. Fourth, I started the viewing of my short documentary on Air Jordan stories, which had me interview different demographics and ask them what they would find fascinating about the brand. Finally, I finished it off with my closing statements with breaking down the Air Jordan tetrad and showcasing my collection and the stories and evolution behind each sneaker. Again, if given more time I could have paralleled the segment with a question-and-answer with the audience. Overall, I felt I did the best possible job I could do talking about a topic I do have interesting and passionate about.

My big idea was, Companies rebranding, and small businesses can use the Air Jordan Brand model that effectively incorporates subtext, codes and storytelling techniques in an ever-changing industry to gain success sustainability and longevity. This means that the techniques used by the Air Jordan Brand can be applied in other models having the biggest take away being “knowing the rules so you know how and when to break them.”

 I believe the ignite presentation went better than I expected, in the past when doing this type of presentation, I would rush and get too nervous. I felt I paced myself very well and didn’t overdo myself. If I would nitpick it would be my question-and-answer portion, there was silence in the beginning and I waited for audience reaction first, I wish I would have maybe started the ball rolling with myself first and then see what reactions I could get.

Have you ever waited in a line for something that you valued as much as other people valued Air Jordans?

 

The Art of Self-Promotion

 

My name is Gregorio C. Veluz III, I am currently a senior at the University of the District of Columbia. I am pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Digital Media with concentrations in Digital Video Production and Documentary and Film Production. I have a 4.0 grade point average.

Prior to my educational pursuits, I had worked for seven years at Merrifield Garden Center, one of the largest garden nursery and landscaping companies in Northern Virginia. I had worked my way up from cashier to sales associate to receptionist and eventually manager of the loading dock team. I developed significant experience and skills in customer service, time management, training employees with machinery and customer relations, supervising seasonal schedules, and planning and developing company events. During my tenure as manager of the loading dock, I managed more than thirty employees during our peak seasons. It was my job to lead the employment process and recognize which employees had potential for promotion. I would have daily and monthly meetings with other managers and assisted them with whatever they needed done. I gave everything I had to Merrifield, and I gained lifelong friendships, as well as life and work lessons. I decided to leave in order to pursue my passion in sports digital media.

 My passion grew as a fan of the local teams in the Washington, D.C. area. I would watch The George Michael Sport Machine as a child and was fascinated from the start. My interest in digital media grew in high school as friends showed me editing programs, which we used to create videos pertaining to our favorite sports teams. It was a hobby that grew as I developed and learned new skills in my editing. I have become proficient in Window Movie Maker, Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro and currently Adobe Suites. I have only advanced in my training with more videos and photographs to add to my ever growing portfolio. I’ve also developed projects for other companies such as Motivf Corporation which is a consulting firm as well as Fantom Comics in Washington D.C. My favorite sport to edit is basketball, but I am happy to edit videos for any sports and help develop your company’s vision. I had the wonderful opportunity to talk to your Capitals Analyst Alan May, and he gave me great advice and answered my questions about the business of sports media. This opportunity left me with a great sense of understanding for my career goals and confirmed my interest in working for NBC Sports Washington.

I learned strong principles of work ethic from Merrifield Garden Center, which gave me the confidence to pursue my passions in sports digital media. I have learned from my Digital Media program at the University of the District of Columbia how to hone and develop my skills. I hope to make those dreams a reality as I would be honored to learn and develop my skills with NBC Sports Washington. A full-time position with NBC Sports Washington would be an ideal experience for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Michael Jordan and the New Global Capitalism

What's The Deal With Airline Peanuts?